PERSONAL TRAINER COURSE CONTENT
Fit Futures offers a comprehensive A-Z Personal Training Course with everything you need to know to become a successful personal trainer
Get your personal trainer course certificate
Our Personal Trainer Course has been designed to ensure you have all you need to move forward in becoming a confident and competent fitness professional.
The program covers everything from exercise and healthy eating through to fitness science and business studies.
Once qualified, you will have a clearer understanding of the vast range of career opportunities within the fitness industry. These include:
- Working as a personal trainer with your own business or within a gym
- Working as a fitness instructor taking assessments or group exercise
- Running boot camps or outdoor programs
- Working with allied health professionals such as physiotherapists or massage therapists
- Working as a fitness professional on cruise ships or other countries
What you’ll learn from our Personal Trainer Course
There are 13 modules within our Personal Trainer Course program, all designed to teach you the ins and outs of the fitness industry, and how you can excel in your career.
MODULE 1 : The Fitness Industry
Understanding the fitness industry in New Zealand.
- REPs and Networking
- Workplace Health and Safety
MODULE 2 : Anatomy and Physiology
Examining the muscle and skeletal structures of the human body and how we use energy.
- Anatomical Terminology
- Skeletal Structure and Function
- Muscle Structure and Function
- Cardiac and Respiratory System
- Nervous System
- Energy Systems
MODULE 3: Nutrition
Exploring nutrition and digestion in relation to health and performance.
Scope of Practice
MODULE 4 : Client Prep
Providing exercise pre-screening and customer service.
- Communication Skills
- Customer Service
- Engaging with Clients
- Heart Rate and Blood Pressure
- Fitness and Strength Testing
MODULE 5 : Exercise prescription
Exploring methods of exercise prescription and considerations for exercise programming.
- Exercise Prescription
- Programming Rules
- Cardiovasular Training
- Session Delivery
- Program Tracking
MODULE 6 : Groups
Instructing group exercise classes.
- Group Development
- The Planning Process
- Instructing a Circuit Class
MODULE 7 : Special Populations
Health conditions and how to accommodate exercise for them.
- Introduction to Special Populations
- Heart Conditions
- Metabolic Conditions
- Asthma and Arthritis
- Mental Health
MODULE 8 : Business
Starting your business with business planning.
- Job Applications
- Business Planning
- Financial Planning
MODULE 9 : Personal Training 101
Behavioural change and delivering personal training sessions.
- Personal Training Sessions and Delivery
- Behavioural Change
- Body Composition
MODULE 10 : Personal Training Prescription
Session planning and assessing your client’s performance.
- Postural Analysis
- Screening Recommendations
- Exercise Variations
- Phases of Adaption
MODULE 11 : Specialised Personal Training
Personal training for children and actively ageing clients.
- Actively Aging Clients
MODULE 12 : Personal Training for Sports Performance
Periodisation, deloading, considerations for endurance training and movement screening.
- Sports Training
- Movement Screening
MODULE 13 : Practical Workshop
Practical session to demonstrate your ability to program for and interact with clients.
Certificate in Personal Training Course summary video
Extract from Nick’s video (below)
- Hi there, I’m Nick Parke – one of the Senior Tutors here at Fit Futures Academy.
- I’m going to hazard a guess and say that if you’re here, then you’re very interested in gaining your certification in personal training to either work as a personal trainer, group training instructor or to increase your knowledge and expertise to refine your own training. Well, you’ve come to the right place.
Who is Fit Futures Academy?
- We are here to help budding fitness professionals get to where they want to be.
We know exactly what it takes to make it in this industry, with an expert team that has more than 90 years combined experience in the world of fitness and education.
- From online to face-to-face learning, studying with us is more than just earning a qualification. Our graduates stay in touch, with supported job opportunities and future career development long past their graduation date.
- Fit Futures Academy has enlisted the help and expertise of high-profile fitness industry leaders from across the industry to develop our curriculum. That means years of research, refined, to develop a programme that caters to students’ individual needs.
- From online to face-to-face study, we offer our students the options to learn in a way that best suits them. Fitting around your lifestyle, it is important to us that you are able to study easily around other commitments. Catering to your needs and going at your pace.
- All Fit Futures Academy students are assigned their own tutor. There to help with any questions, your tutor is there to support you through the entirety of the course.
- In the course you’ll cover everything you need to become a successful personal trainer, including but not limited to: anatomy and physiology, nutrition, group training, programming, working with special populations and training for sports performance.
- We allow 12 months to complete the Certificate in Personal Training course and if you’re investing just 5-10 hours per week you will comfortably complete the course in that time.
- You can complete the online course from the comfort of your own home, anywhere in New Zealand.
- There is a 40-hour work experience component that can be completed in your local gym, working with a REPs-registered trainer or REPs-registered facility and you can either submit assessments by video or arrange a live Skype or Zoom call with your tutor.
- If you’re in Auckland or Christchurch, you can choose to enrol for our face-to-face study. We call this our fast-track course as it includes 16 weeks of part-time study with two classes per week. This includes similar content to our online option, but you have that classroom setting to learn, connect with peers and ask questions of your tutor. Assessments and material are still completed online.
- There is a 40-hour work experience component for this mode of study too. that can be completed in your local gym, working with a REPs-registered trainer or REPs-registered facility.
- In order to complete your studies, you will enter an independent assessment process. Once this is passed, you will have met all individual education requirements to register with the NZ Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) and we take care of that process for you.
- Our graduates enjoy their first year of REPs registration, valued at up to $460, paid for by Fit Futures Academy. Internationally recognised, REPs registration gives independent verification that a registered individual meets the industry standards of personal training and if you’re thinking of travelling, REPs registration is internationally recognised.
- With your REPs registration, you have your insurance and accreditation to work in the industry with no limits.
- That’s enough about us, we want to know more about you and what’s motivating you to get qualified and enter the world’s best industry. Simply inquire through the website or phone 0800 99 88 98 and one of team can provide you with more information, including enrolment fees.
- We look forward to helping you achieve your goals and welcoming you to the Fit Futures team.
Start your journey TODAY
Got questions about our courses? Get in touch.